Apply to the Lumiere artwork commissioning scheme now
What is Brilliant?
BRILLIANT is a commissioning scheme aimed at encouraging anyone (aged 18 or older) to suggest their brightest idea for an artwork as part of the Lumiere 2021 programme. This is your chance to be a Lumiere artist!
You don’t need to be a practicing artist or have any previous experience to apply to BRILLIANT. You just need a brilliant idea!
In an exciting development of the scheme, the invitation to apply has now been extended to the whole of the UK. There will be up to six awards available, of which three will be ring-fenced for those originally from or living in the North East as part of Artichoke’s ongoing commitment the development of local creativity
Artichoke (producer of Lumiere) is committed to developing creative talents and voices from a range of backgrounds and we are particularly keen to hear from Black People and People of Colour, as well as d/Deaf and Disabled individuals who are currently under-represented in our BRILLIANT Alumni.
Deadline for applications is 9am Thursday 11th February 2021
BRILLIANT 2021 is sponsored by EMG Solicitors.
Successful applicants receive:
- A fee of £1000
- Support from an Artichoke Producer and Production Manager to realise their BRILLIANT idea
- Ongoing mentoring and advice
- Production/materials/fabrication/installation costs up to £7000
How to apply
The BRILLIANT 2021 information pack,is available in various formats below.
Please read/listen to the information pack before applying.
BRILLIANT 2021 Information Pack (Audio Version)
- BRILLIANT 2021 Information Pack (PDF) - DOWNLOAD
- BRILLIANT 2021 Information Pack (Easy Read Version PDF) - DOWNLOAD
- BRILLIANT 2021 Information Pack (Large Print Version Word Document) - VIEW
- BRILLIANT 2021 Information Pack (Plain Text Document) - DOWNLOAD
What we are looking for
We don’t set a theme for BRILLIANT. We just want to see your best and most inspired idea for an artwork using light
You can use any material, as long as light is at the heart of the final artwork
Your idea could be inspired by:
- Something that is important to you
- Durham’s unique history, people, stories or places
- Something you think would simply look amazing
- Something that reveals a familiar location or everyday object in a different way
Your art installation must be able to withstand the elements and be resilient enough to be viewed by large audiences over four nights
Consider using sustainable technology or recycled materials if you can
You can also look at our BRILLIANT artwork archive for inspiration
Who can apply?
BRILLIANT is open to anyone currently living in the UK (aged 18 and over) with an interest in light to suggest their brightest idea to be produced and exhibited as part of Lumiere 2021
We are particularly interested in receiving applications from:
- Individuals who are currently living in or are originally from the North East and are local to Durham
- Individuals who are under-represented in our BRILLIANT alumni, particularly:
– Those who identify as Black People and People of Colour
– Those who identify as d/Deaf and Disabled
Brilliant has two application stages:
Complete our application form by clicking the link below:
In the form, we ask you to tell us a little bit about:
- Your idea
- What materials your artwork might be made out of
- How much it might cost to make
- Suggest a location for your artwork, if you have one in mind
- Included any photos or drawings
The deadline for applications is 9am on Thursday 11th February
Short-listed applicants will be notified by Wednesday 3rd March
At this stage Artichoke support you to develop a full proposal and comprehensive budget for your artwork
Shortlisted applicants will be invited for in-person interviews in Durham (Covid-19 restrictions permitting) on either 13th April, 14th April or 15th April
Further details will be given at this stage to shortlisted applicants
Getting Help to Apply
We are very happy to answer any questions. Please get in touch if you need:
- Any help with completing your application
- One-to-one support
- This information in a different format
- To apply in a different format
Get in touch
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 020 7650 7611