You’ve got a bright idea. What next?
Here are our top 10 tips for creating a standout BRILLIANT application. This is your chance to showcase your creativity at the UK’s leading light festival alongside some of the world’s most renowned light artists.
BRILLIANT is a project that will pay successful applicants to create a new artwork using light. The best six ideas will be created with support from the festival production team and exhibited at Lumiere 2021 in Durham.
You do not need any previous experience to apply. You just need a brilliant idea!
The deadline for applications is Thursday, 11th February, 9am.
Top 10 tips for your BRILLIANT application
1. Before applying, read or listen to the BRILLIANT 2021 Information Pack. You can find the pack at lumiere-festival.com/brilliant-2021/
2. Explore the archive of winning past BRILLIANT artworks on the Lumiere website for some inspiration to get you started.
3. Keep it simple! It’s worth remembering that the best and most moving ideas are often the simplest ones. A BRILLIANT idea encourages people to stop and look at something that they might not usually notice or see something familiar in a new light.
4. Draw on your own strengths and interests. Lots of the successful BRILLIANT ideas in the past have been ones which made use of the applicants own skills.
5. Think about weather proofing your artwork. Remember that the artwork needs to survive outside in Durham in mid-November for four days and nights, so it needs to be strong enough to withstand the elements
6. Be creative with your materials and consider using sustainable technology or recycled materials if you can.
7. Don’t worry too much about the details of your budget. The cost for creating your artwork can be up to £7,000, but the budget we ask you to give in your application is just a rough estimate. If your idea wins, we’ll support you in researching the exact cost of production, materials, fabrication and installation
8. Consider how the audience at Lumiere festival will respond to your artwork. Will they look passively or touch, listen and or even step inside it?
9. Your idea has to be unique to you. It might show us something that is important to you or tell us something about Durham that you want other people to know about
10. Don’t rush your application. You can only submit one idea so make sure that you’ve thought about it carefully before you send it!
Good luck with your application!
We are very happy to answer any questions. Please get in touch if you need:
- Any help with completing your application
- One-to-one support
- To apply in a different format
Email: [email protected] Phone: 020 7650 7611